Monday, April 7, 2008

Love

These were written in my journal some time ago, in my journal I write various thoughts and story ideas, and sometimes even poetry.
ON MARRIAGE:
If marriage can be said to be the greatest battlefield, the courtship must be the opening skirmish. It is a pity that there are so few capable warriors, (or perhaps shield maids), to find in this Northern Land, if there were more then I may well be engaged in a battle Royal by now. An ancient legend states that when two hearts beat as one even the gods become afraid; I think that this would be what the One God designed marriage for in the first place.
Perhaps it is a denial of this that makes some women think I come on too strong or aggressively. My very tentative approach speaks of caution, I try to never underestimate my opponent; perhaps I overestimate them instead. Each women I meet wants some thing different, but they are usually seeking an impossible to meet figment of their Disney colored imaginations. Not all princes are fabulously wealthy, more than a few actually work for a living. Perhaps if they kissed a few frogs their dreams might come true, after all the Beast was a prince too.
ON LOVE:
What is love?, and why are people so fixated upon it, moreover, how does one fall into it like it was a well?
As for myself I don't have the answers, but I do have an opinion. It is my contention that if one falls into something then there must be a way out; but real love is not so much an emotion as an action. If one sets out to work at it they may find an emotion tied to it; but love is something you do, not something you feel.
Part of the confusion over love is that English is too limiting. There are many types, levels, and degrees of love, but we have one word to cover them all.
ON LOVE PART II:
I have met an incredible young women recently, who is everything I could want - except married to me. She has a beauty all her own, it radiates about her like streaming light. Her mind is sharp, honed to a diamond edge, which can be good for cutting through glassy stares. She has a true desire to follow the LORD, and in some ways is stronger in her faith than I. It is for all these things I appreciate her, but it is for who she is that I have begun to love her.
Now I realise that my concepts of love are often hard to fathom, but to me love is an action, not merely an emotion. If true love is a choice, then, by definition it must be an action, and if this hypothesis is correct, then it is not merely an emotional state. Whom among us would truly choose to have an uncontrollable emotion that is so volatile that it can warp all reality.
On the other hand passion is not an action, but it can be motivated by an action. Pure unbridled passion for anything can also be called a love for it. English as a language is very limiting, our word love encompasses all the words for different types into one. Perhaps our vocabulary has become too limited on this subject, I could be wrong; this is just my opinion.

No comments: